Thursday, November 4, 2010

Whatever happened to...

...the courtesy wave whilst driving?  In case you have forgotten what this is, it's when one car waves first to allow the other to know they see them and that it is safe to go and the second car waves back as if to say "thanks! Have a splendid day." This simple act of kindness could occur as someone allows you to merge, turn first, proceed through an intersection first or as someone stops for you to turn out of a parking lot and into traffic. 

I seem to remember the courtesy wave being an almost everyday occurrence when my parents drove me around as a child.  Have we all gotten so busy and rushed in our lives that the wave is now lost?  Perhaps we are all now such crappy drivers that we have nothing to wave about.  I for one have deiced to do my part in bringing back the courtesy wave.  I think its the least I can do to bring a little love back to the lives of the drivers I share the road with, as well as my own.

Oh and I have also noticed that there are other states in the US where people still do the courtesy wave.  What's up with that Cali?  Not cool.  I hate that we fit into the stereotypes that are already in place about this state.  Time to dust off the 'ol wave and get to shaking it!

1 comment:

  1. I still notice the courtesy wave, and I still expect. Like if I stop in my lane just so you can get out of the parking lot, and then you don't give me the courtesy wave, I think to myself, "Damn it. I wish I would have never let you in."

    ReplyDelete